Signs of melanoma include change in size, shape or color of an existing mole, or a new spot on the skin (ABCDE rule):
- A - Asymmetry: A mole that has an irregular shape.
- B - Border: Melanoma lesions usually has irregular, blurred, or notched edges.
- C - Color: Uneven distribution of color or more than one color throughout the mole can be a sign of melanoma.
- D - Diameter: Moles larger than 6 mm, the size of a pencil eraser across, although smaller lesions can be melanoma.
- E - Evolution: The dynamic change in size, color and shape is the most important factor.
Other melanoma symptoms may include sores that do not heal, pigment, redness or swelling, itchiness, tenderness or pain, oozing or bleeding from an existing mole.